LEIPZIG CONNECTION

Leipzig Connection

Bach was the city’s Thomaskantor from 1723-1750 and his remains are buried in the chancel of St. Thomas’ Church (Thomaskirche). Forging links with the Bach heritage at the city has been part and parcel of the London Bach Society’s own work. The Society’s choir (1947-1989) directed by LBS founder, the Bach scholar and conductor Paul Steinitz (1909-1988), performed Bach motets and Purcell Anthems in St Thomas’ with a section of the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra as early as 1964 and was the first Western cultural group to ‘cross the Wall’.  In 1983 the choir, joined by Steinitz Bach Players and four soloists, and directed by Dr Steinitz performed Bach’s Mass in B minor in the composer’s church .  Honouring a commitment, in 1994, LBS hosted and promoted the first ever visit to the UK by Leipzig’s own Thomanerchor, which Bach directed and for which he composed the lion’s share of his church music.

Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter

Leave a Response